Subject: Re: Any opinions of tar and gzip vs. pkzip? also any major problems in tar?
From: [email-masked] (Tim Gerla)

23 Jan 1997 01:41:40 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Forte Agent .99g/32.339
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:59:56 -0800, you wrote:
>I just discovered cygwin32 (or gnu-win32) last week, and tried using
>tar. I quickly encountered the problem that it appends to existing files
>(as reported here - still waiting for some resolution). I was using it
>for the long filename feature, so I could backup from a Linux system,
>and restore to a Win95 system. At this time I would suggest getting the
>latest version of Pkzip for windows, which supports long file names.
>-
>For help on using this list, send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>
Well, I must say I've sort of sided with ZIP files. When I downloaded
all 14 megs of GNU-Win32 stuff, I concatanated all of the XA? files
into all.tar.gz, and went ahead and ran GUNZIP. Well, it worked for a
minute or two, and then gave me an error message that says that I did
not own the file. :p... I did too own it! :) I probably just
configured something wrong, but I launched WinZip and it worked fine.
This probably is a Un*x type problem, but still.. :)

-Tim
-- Tyball@irc, -==<UDIC>==- Greeter
Tim Gerla -- [email-masked] -- http://timg.home.ml.org/
Unsolicitied e-mail is probihited. Copyright (C) 1996 Tim Gerla

Caldera sues Micro$oft, buys DR-DOS and Novell DOS 7, will release
OpenDOS, the FREE DOS with multitasking, much more! www.caldera.com
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".