Subject: Bin's Compiled on Win95 not running on WinNT 3.51
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

22 Jan 1997 02:03:26 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

	Is there any reason why stuff compiled on a Win 95 computer doesn't
run on Win NT 3.51 (sp5)?
	After moving what I've sorted out at home over to the Server at
work, I found that all the Cygnus compiled bin's would run just fine,
however, ANYTHING which I had compiled at home, would make NT
complain that they weren't valid Win32 exe's??!? Most of these exe's
only use functions contained in libcygwin.a, that is they import only
from the cygwin.dll. So I can't think of any other good reason for
them not to run. Even just a simple which command created this error,
so I know it's not anything special they are doing to make them do
this..... I have full control permissions, and I own these files as
administrator, so NT rights shouldn't be the trouble
	Is this something peculiar to me, or does this happen to other
people?
	I assume I could just "recompile" most of this under NT, however I
don't think it would be such a great idea to use a live web server to
compile programs, especially with a "beta" quality enviroment!
	If anyone knows whats going on please let me know, I've found no
mention of this behavior any where in the online docs...
	BTW, if it makes any diff, I'm using a 100Mhz Cyrix586, with 16M.
I've seen some other "weird" behaviour from this chip not being
completely byte code compatible with the Intel, I wonder if this
might cause the compiler to produce slightly different code which
only runs on the cyrix??? Reaching I know but, Im confused.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".