Subject: Re: The mail list in a news group
From: [email-masked] ("Weiqi Gao")

22 Jan 1997 00:40:31 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Carl J R Johansson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The ideal solution would maybe be to automatically forward the messages
>to a local (again, as opposed to global) newsgroup and vice versa while
>maintaining the mailing list. That should keep everyone happy, but I don't
>know if it's practical.

Mailing list gives the project no exposure on the internet.
A mailing list is essentially a local newsgroup.
A Web site gives the project some accidental exposure on the internet.
A global news group gives the project the widest exposure to the most
relevent people on the internet.

A global news group takes nothing away from the mailing list.  The only
thing it will do is to attract more people to the project.  From the
mailings I've seen in the last two days, there's some concern of
noise/signal ratio if a global news group is created.  That's
understandable.  But the increased awareness of the project in the internet
population at large far out weighs any such concern, IMHO.

>[......]
>environment here]' (personally I simply dislike it). Not that I disagree 
>with it being a Unix environment primarily now that there is mingw32,
>but it remains attached to the main project at least for now.

What is mingw32?  I hope I don't have to get onto yet another mailing list
to learn all about it.

--
Weiqi Gao
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".