Subject: Re: The mail list in a news group
From: [email-masked] (Carl J R Johansson)

21 Jan 1997 17:06:16 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> I like the idea of first trying this as a series of newsgroups on a 
> small server, perhaps at cygnus.com, before joining it to the comp.* 
> hierarchy.  Then we can experiment with splitting it into different 
> newsgroups to best sort the posts.
> 
> This will keep the readers/posters to basically whoever's on this 
> mail list, and we wouldn't have the general "How about making Linux 
> for Win95?" type posts :).
> 
The ideal solution would maybe be to automatically forward the messages
to a local (again, as opposed to global) newsgroup and vice versa while
maintaining the mailing list. That should keep everyone happy, but I don't
know if it's practical.

I myself probably don't have a say in this though as I will stick to
the announce list soon (I don't have any Unix programs to port so
90% of the traffic is irrelevant). But for those who say 'the stated
objective' would be to provide a Unix environment I suggest rereading
the Web page, it says that it's a Win32 compiler even before it being
a Unix environment. And for those who say 'why not use VC++' I could
as well ask 'why not use NutCracker/OpenNT/[put your commercial 
environment here]' (personally I simply dislike it). Not that I disagree 
with it being a Unix environment primarily now that there is mingw32,
but it remains attached to the main project at least for now.

cj
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".