Subject: Mailing List or News group?
From: [email-masked] (Tony FITZPATRICK)

20 Jan 1997 22:24:27 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi everyone

        Just to add my two cents to all this, I seem to be in a minority but
I much prefer the Mailing List to any News Group. I know that different
countries have different ways of charging for access but it costs me
(France) much less to recover my mail then it does to extract the useful
stuff from a News Group.  Frankly I see more inconvenience for everybody in
a News Group then I can in the current Mailing List structure.

        While I'm at it, it seems premature to be talking about
restructuring the DLL while we still have problems to sort out in the code.
IMHO what effort is available would be better occupied sorting out the real
problems we have instead of splitting the DLL into smaller chunks. If people
have trouble managing one DLL what kind of problems are they going to have
with several?

        I like what we've got, it is moving forward, I can regenerate
everything from source if I need to (W95 Pentium, it's not out of the box
but all the clues have been provided by this Mailing List) and I fully
support the goal of Cygnus to permit the maximum compatibility with existing
Unix code, the structure of the DLL is the least of our problems. If people
are looking to do other things there are alternatives, the "minimalist"
effort is a very good example. So, at the risk of upsetting some people, my
opinion is to leave things as they are.

                        Thats all folks

                                               Tony

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".