Subject: Re: Bash, history file, and Tcl
From: [email-masked] (Len Budney)

20 Jan 1997 08:53:52 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> (message from
	Mikey on Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14: 42:01 -0700)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

   From: Mikey <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:42:01 -0700

	One way to eliminate most (possibly all) CR/LF problems
   is to mount with the -b option, I don't know why this isn't the
   default.
	Unfortunatly, after you do this you will have to reinstall from =
   scratch, but once you do bash history works properly, (after deleting or =
   converting the .bash_history file) ncurses compiles out of the box =
   (dosen't quite work right because of some missing capabilities, but I'm =
   working on it), same with most GNU tools that have a configure script.
	Try it, after the initial pain, it's a BIG win.

Thanks for the input!  I actually tried changing the mounting of C: to
binary, but didn't know it would require a "reinstall from scratch",
which is probably why the results were so discouraging.

One question remains, however--does mounting "C:" in binary mode break
non-GNU-Win32 programs?  In particular, I use NTemacs which seems to 
insist on handling files in text mode.  Did I miss something that avoids
the problem?

Len.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Len Budney Ph.D.                 | "The woods are lovely, dark and deep
Daxus Corporation                |  But I have promises to keep
(412)-577-4156                   |  And miles to go before I sleep..."
[email-masked]                 |                              -- Frost
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".