Subject: Re: man
From: [email-masked] (Peter Dalgaard BSA)

20 Jan 1997 04:56:57 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: [email-masked]'s message of Sat, 18 Jan 97 11:47:13 EST
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.2.40/Emacs 19.34
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] writes:

> New user question: Where's man? I see the man files but no reader. Also there
> are info files which I also don't know how to read.Did not see this in the
> FAQ or other online docs. Respond to [email-masked].

You can fake one with a slight amount of hacking about.

First get nroff going:

Get the version of groff via the web page (it's for NT, but also works
with W95). Unpack it and move the binaries over to all the other stuff
with bash and friends. The files in the share/groff directory want to
live in /usr/local/share/groff, so just move them over there. It is
necessary to create your own nroff command. Do this with a little
shell script (nroff.exe):

#!/bin/sh
troff -Tascii $* | grotty

Then create man.exe as something like

#!/bin/sh
$MANDIR=whateveryouneed
nroff -man `echo $MANDIR/man*/$*.*` | less

Oh, and first install less (pointer also on web page). This can be
done with a straight copy. Copy it to more.exe for sanity
preservation.

Of course, you COULD also just install nroff, less, and man from
their respective sources. 

-- 
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3  
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N   
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([email-masked])             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".