Subject: Re: This mail list in a news group
From: [email-masked] (J.J.Farrell)

19 Jan 1997 20:46:18 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Carl J R Johansson)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Carl J R Johansson" at Jan 19, 97 11:33:20 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Length: 942       
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> From [email-masked] Mon Jan 20 02:03:59 1997
>
> I'm under the impression that there is some kind of voting
> procedure before newsgroups are created (except the alt hierarchy), 
> they have to be submitted somewhere (news.groups?). I suppose
> people who don't read this mailing list can vote too?

Correct. I don't think there'd be that much trouble getting an
appropriately-named group accepted, given the activity on this
mailing list.

> The other solution would maybe be to have them only on a local 
> server (that would at least guarantee that everyone can access
> them) but of course who would pay for that?

What do you mean by "a local server"? Local to whom? If you mean
create the group on a single news server somewhere and use NNTP
to access it, that would guarantee than many of us couldn't access
it! Many people behind firewalls aren't allowed to have NNTP
conversations over the big bad Net.

Regards,
		jjf
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".