Subject: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked] (Aurel Balmosan)

19 Jan 1997 16:22:32 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Maillist Cygnus)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL21]
Content-Length: 634       
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Maybe I am opening a thread that was already closed, but:

I don't understand why gnu-win32 has to support ASCII files at
all. For compatible UNIX enviroment it will make only problems.
(see gdbm) No UNIX tool need ASCII conversion or ASCII files.
Of course some editors will show ^M's but if it is really
needed there are always the program unix2dos and dos2unix.

If ASCII files will be still supported, then it should not be
the default when opening a file, device or pipe. 

Because the gnu-win32 project is very new we could change it. 
(If we want) 

So, can someone tell me why ASCII file is the default?

	Aurel Balmosan
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".