Subject: Re: cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Kim Knuttila)

19 Jan 1997 13:39:06 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from
	Shankar Unni on Sat, 18 Jan 1997 18: 33:45 -0800 (PST))
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

   From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 18:33:45 -0800 (PST)
   Cc: [email-masked]
   X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
   Content-Type: text
   Sender: [email-masked]
   Precedence: bulk

   Aaron Tomb said:

   > The 3MB cygwin dll contains debugging info. Stripped it is only two
   > hundred and something k. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get it
   > working when I stripped it. It complained about not finding the dll.

   Unfortunately, strip just strips off *all* symbol information. The DLL
   mechanism is just a fairly crude structure piggybacking off the COFF
   symbol table, and it's possible that tools like strip don't know to
   leave the import and export tables alone.

Well, as far as I know, the dll mechanism is imbedded in the idata/edata 
sections and has nothing to do with the coff symbol tables at all. Strip
should work, but I've not tried it on a dll. If it doesn't, it's a bug.
The way to tell is strip a dll, and objdump it. If the idata/edata sections
are gone, then that's the bug. (and we'll fix it :-) If the sections are
there, try "-p" on objdump, which should attempt to figure out if the
edata/idata sections are properly laid out. They should be the same as 
before the strip. If they aren't, that's likely a bug (I can't think
of a good reason for them to be different) (and we'll fix it :-)

--krk.

-- 
Kim Knuttila     | Speaking for himself as always.
Cygnus Solutions |		Woof.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".