Subject: Re: cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Shankar Unni)

19 Jan 1997 04:24:05 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Aaron Tomb)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Aaron Tomb" at Jan 17, 97 09:53:14 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Aaron Tomb said:

> The 3MB cygwin dll contains debugging info. Stripped it is only two
> hundred and something k. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get it
> working when I stripped it. It complained about not finding the dll.

Unfortunately, strip just strips off *all* symbol information. The DLL
mechanism is just a fairly crude structure piggybacking off the COFF
symbol table, and it's possible that tools like strip don't know to
leave the import and export tables alone.

ELF versions of strip generally know not to strip off the shared library
interface information, because it usually lies in a different section
with a well-known name. I guess the PE version of strip also needs to be
taught to do this.

For now, your only recourse is downloading the source for cygwin.dll,
and compiling it without a -g flag. It'll still have some symbol
information, but it won't be so large.

-- 
Shankar Unni                                  [email-masked]
Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".