Subject: Re: This mail list in a news group
From: [email-masked] ("Weiqi Gao")

18 Jan 1997 23:27:12 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Anders Lindgren" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: <[email-masked]>
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.gnu-win32
>>comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.gnu-win32

>To me, it sounds as though these news groups covers a much broader
>area then intended, namely all projects involving writing and porting
>GNU software to win32.

>My suggestion is:
>	comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.cygwin
>                                     .tools.cygwin
>	or ...cygwin32

Someone need to read the charter of the comp.os.ms-windows.* hierarchy. 
Specifically the scope of their "tools" and "win32" branches.  The
currently available news groups in the comp.os.mw-windows.programmer.*
hierarchy seems to revolve around the subsystems of Windows (drivers,
controls, networks, graphics, memory, multimedia, ole, vxd, winhelp,
win32).  Then there is the tools branch, which hosts mfc, olw, and winsock.
 This is apparently an ancient organization.  The cygwin project really
doesn't fit in.  The proper place is probably
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.posix.cygwin

--
Weiqi Gao
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".