Subject: Re: regarding resources
From: [email-masked] (root)

18 Jan 1997 11:27:55 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (jl Hamel)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "jl Hamel" at Jan 17, 97 05:30:32 pm
Content-Length: 2841      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Later this month (or beginning of February) I will release the next version of
lcc-win32.

This system features now:
o a resource compiler (lrc). This compiler is a new development. For different
  reasons, I couldn't follow rcl's yacc/lex parser. I wrote a recursive
  descent one. I have compiled all resources that I could with NO errors.
  My tool (compiled with lcc, not cygnus-gcc) makes for about 60K This
  *includes* a full blown C preprocessor. (lcc's one is linked in).
o a resource editor. This tool will allow you to graphically edit a dialog box
  in the screen, test it interactively, and will generate a .res when you hit
  the 'save' button.
o A windowed debugger with displays similar to VC++. This debugger will not be
  usable by gcc, since it uses the debugging information format of Microsoft,
  and it doesn't understand 'stabs'. Since lcc generates Microsoft's 
  compatible debug info, it will work with code compiled by lcc/Microsoft only.
  The new version of MSVC (4.1) uses NB10 debug info format. I use NB09. Since
  I do not have the specs of NB10 (Microsoft didn't publish it) I can't debug
  MSVC++ programs. I think this is not a problem, since you can use their debugger:
  it is a very good one.
o a full blown IDE with syntax coloring in real-time, grep,diff under windows,
  context sensitive help, browse info processing, tons of utilities (binary
  editor,object file cross referencing, function tree drawing, etc etc etc).

The binaries will be freely distributable. I will try to pay a part of my debts
selling the source code for all that (+ linker, implib utility etc). It
represents something like 5 years of work from my part.

lcc-win32 is the work of only three (yes you read right: THREE) people:
Chris Fraser Wrote the lcc compiler
Dave Hanson  Wrote the lcc compiler
Jacob Navia  Wrote all the rest (assembler, linker, IDE etc).

I have mailed [email-masked] about it, and maybe some utilities will be
distributed with gcc. I offered the resource editor for instance. I think
that this is low priority for cygnus since I do not support any 'Unix'
thing under windows. I do not like unix under windows. I prefer using the
*real* thing: Linux, a nice system. I use it natively, not under windows.

But some people prefer unix under windows...

This is a pre-release announcement for people that *urgently* would need
some of those tools.

P.S. I have worked a lot in the windows header files. I want to share this work
with the gcc project, but till now there has been no interest in these. If I
find a place where I can upload those headers to the general public it would be 
nice. I have written mmsystem.h, windowsx.h, and many many others. weeks of
work...

-- 
Jacob Navia	Logiciels/Informatique
41 rue Maurice Ravel			Tel 01 48.23.51.44
93430 Villetaneuse 			Fax 01 48.23.95.39
France
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".