Subject: Re: Bash, history file, and Tcl
From: [email-masked] (Len Budney)

17 Jan 1997 21:34:47 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
	([email-masked])
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

   Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 21:03:08 EST
   From: [email-masked]
   Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

   Hi, you wrote:

   : Yes!  I noticed the same problem in trying to get Tcl to compile under
   : GNU-Win32; tcl would not read scripts named on the command line because
   : it checks the "size" element of the "fstat" structure and compares this
   : with the number of bytes read.

   What version?
   We use the win port from the Sun Tcl team and scripts without CRs developed
   under unix via NFS (or Samba). Under NT, you just have to be careful about
   your editor how it handles CRs, err, the lack of them!
   For example MS Write works, when forbidding conversion, but not Notepad.
   And Tcl7.5 and greater support various translations on channels...

Sorry, I didn't specify better.  There is another thread on this mailing
list about Tcl/Tk, and I didn't want to mush them together.  Lots of
folks are using windows ports of Tcl, but I want a native GNU version
because my actual goal is to compile Expect.  (For the interested, I
have nearly succeeded, and even managed to automate some FTP sessions.
Yet another thread?)

Compiling Tcl 7.5 and higher against GNU-Win32 has been impossible so
far (for me).  The reason is, that 7.5 and above compile on NT out of
the box, and I can't convince "configure" to give me a _UNIX_ build for
love or money.

Tcl 7.4 only comes in UNIX, and it compiles out of the box under GNU-Win32.
Sadly, the CRLF problem (and possibly others) have sharply restricted
its usefulness so far.

Does anyone else have better success to report?
Len.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Len Budney Ph.D.                 | "The woods are lovely, dark and deep
Daxus Corporation                |  But I have promises to keep
(412)-577-4156                   |  And miles to go before I sleep..."
[email-masked]                 |                              -- Frost
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".