Subject: Re: Why is cygwin.dll?
From: [email-masked] ("Ben Constable")

17 Jan 1997 11:50:16 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Jeremy Blackman" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: "M.Carter" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Yes, but my understanding was that many of the functions in cygwin.dll 
> are required.  At least for complex applications.  I know this because I 
> tried linking in only what I needed, and my 1 meg executable STILL grew 
> to 3.5 (granted, not the 4 I projected, but still pretty honkin' huge).

NT has a hell of a lot of stuff in it's API's. Stuff like printing
characters, opening sockets and the such are all supported. I do not know
that much about unix, but just what does unix have that requires 3.5MB of
code to emulate for a few functions?
 
> Besides, we're not compiling these in Visual C++ or Watcom C.  At least 
> I'm not.  I'm using gcc. :)

Who said that you were? I was saying that if you got a program like grep,
and compiled it's source code in watcom, then you would have a small
executable with no dll file.

Ben Constable
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".