Subject: Re: Why is cygwin.dll?
From: [email-masked] ("Ben Constable")

17 Jan 1997 10:19:39 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Grant Leslie" <[email-masked]>, "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Maybe if you could get it ported to Visual C++, however when talking
about
> cygwin.dll, as mentioned in Jim Balter's reply to the same thread, if you
> compile this on Visual C++ it would be using DOS's file system and
syscalls
> etc.. yet under cygwin.dll for file access it would need all the extra
code
> which cygwin.dll adds to mimic the  Unix subsystems. This would no doubt
be
> a rather large amount, and if just making something like grep by itself
> mostly be unnecessary, assuming you just want want grep on win32.    

You would not be using the DOS file system. You would be using the NT one.
And you end uip using the same file system anyway, because cygwin.dll uses
the NT file system and syscalls that visual C++ apps use. And I think your
final point is the one that a lot of people want to make. A stand alone
executable for a simple program would not break 100k, and would therefore
be easier to give to somebody who did not have gnu-win32.

Ben Constable
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".