Subject: ok.... NOW I'm awed!!!!!!!!
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

17 Jan 1997 03:26:05 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

	To start off... whole point is I just ran xmahjongg, which I compiled and
ran all my own Win95 computer!!! That's  Xserver AND Client both running( a
demo Xserver called Micro X-Win32 3.2.8 from StarNet Communications Corp.
). The server isn't the main source of awe really (just the "display" which
X uses) it's the fact I was able to compile (with cygwin32 beta 17.1 ) and
RUN xmahjongg and it WORKED!! =) And all I changed was some paths in the
makefile, and ONE function call!!!!!

	What started this was me finding this little undocumented file called
x11r6.zip in 
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/winnt/gnu
NO docs with it nothing...not even ONE readme!!!!! It was listed in the
index as X11r6 ported to NT, I mean who could resist ;-) got that and
checked it out... this is why I got the Xserver. ran xclock etc.. from the
port and thought it was kinda cool that it worked... BUT then I looked
around at how it's setup and lo and behold all the X11r6 header files...
hmm.... these and the X11 dll's etc, and even V C++ lib files etc...
hmmm!!........ remembered something called "makelib" from rsxnt. Read the
stuff about making dll's with cygwin. And proceeded to make libX11.a,
libXext.a, etc.. using the following script I wrote (after so f***ing
around of course )
:/root/bin/mklib

#!/bin/sh
echo Extracting Exported Functions from $1.dll ......
echo EXPORTS>$1.def
# rsxnt's makelib.exe adds numbers after all the function names
makelib --print $1.dll | cut -f 1 --delimiter=' '>>$1.def
echo Creating lib$1.a for $1.dll ......
dlltool --def $1.def --output-exp $1.exp --output-lib lib$1.a --dllname
$1.dll
echo Done!

	Then I grabbed the source files for xmahjongg off a Linux CD and played
with the make file, then typed make and the thing compiled and linked ( odd
warning here and there and had changed one call to the random function to
use rand instead ) . Compiled the included font using the x11r6 port to
compile the font, and make the fontdir, and added that dir to the Xserver's
fontpath. And when I'd type xmahjongg BAM there it was!!!! even played a
game or two :-). only problem I've noticed so far is when I close it, the
window goes away, but, it still shows up if you ps?? 
	Maybe someone else has tried something similar, I don't know. I do
remember seeing that somone had compiled the X11 client library.

	But Anyway I just thought someone might find this little story
interesting, and decided to post it here (obviously I left out alot of
false starts I made ;-) ) If anyone wants to know where to find any of the
stuff I used just drop me a note...

PS Isn't gnu-win32 COOL :-)

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".