Subject: Re: cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Shankar Unni)

16 Jan 1997 21:22:36 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (X11; I; Linux 2.0.18 i586)
Original-To: "M.Carter" <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

M.Carter wrote:

> I'd like to mention that I used Visual C++ to write a simple 'hello
> world'
program for Windows 95. It was 17k long. I found that the
> machine transported to another machine running Windows 95 without
> the need for distributing a dll, or any other paraphenalia.

On the other hand, if you use VC++ 4.2, and link a program against any
of their new C++ libraries, and want to transport *that* to another
machine, you do have to copy over the appropriate DLL: they explicitly
ask you to do so in the documentation. So it's not as clear-cut as you
say.  You only luck out if you use only libraries that are shipped as
part of the base Win95. You can't even depend on a new library that
ships standard as part of OSR1 or OSR2, because not all your users may
have it.

The thing to remember about Windows, is that software developers are
responsible for hiding all the crud from the user's eyes; that's the
entire philosophy of Win95. It's not that there's no crud - heavens,
there's tons of it.

So yeah: you want to distribute applications to a different machine,
ship a copy of cygwin.dll along with your app, just like you'd do with
VC++ 4.2-compiled apps..

-- 
Shankar Unni                                  [email-masked]
Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".