Subject: termcap for less?
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

15 Jan 1997 07:44:03 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I sent this out weeks ago but it apparently corresponded with the
time in which the mail server was down so...

>
>Hello all,
>
>I've downloaded a version of less from
http://members.aol.com/marknudel/less which works well as long as I do not
attempt to use it in a DOS window with a scroll bar.  If I use it in a
window with a scroll bar, it sets the window back to the beginning, does its
stuff, and then exits, leaving me some place in the window which already has
text from previous operations.  I'd like it to place me back to the line
after the one from which I had invoked less, to avoid overwriting previous
output during subsequent commands.  According to the FAQ on the less web
page, what happens after less exits is dependent on the terminal's response
to the "te" termcap string.  I have tried less with my TERM set to win32
(for vim), ansi, vt100, and dumb, all to no avail. I don't claim to know
allot about terminal settings and the termcap file but since the one I have
only has an entry for ansi and this doesn't do what I want, I was wondering
if someone out there has a more comprehensive termcap file which will fix my
less problems.
>
>Any ideas?  I'm running (at the moment) b14 on a Pentium 133 running
>NT 3.51 SP4.
>
>Thanks,
>
>
Larry

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".