Subject: NTFS - Deleting Directory with sub dir and files
From: [email-masked] (Rajen Shah)

10 Jan 1997 15:17:41 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (WinNT; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello Every One,

This is the first time I am posting the question to this listserv.

I had ported a code written in c from DEC Unix to NT 3.51(Visual C++). I
was using "rm -r dir" to delete 
the dir (subdir and files) in my code. I thought the "_rmdir",
"RemoveDirectory" or the system call "deltree /Y" will work on NT.
Unfortunately, any of the command will not work. I am not doing a change
directory
in the code even. I can understand if it is being currently being used,
then it may give error and may not
delete it. "_rmdir" and "RemoveDirectory" works on empty directory only.
So, I went ahead and deleted the
files underneith the dir by traversing the dir. in the code. But, it
will be nice to delete the directory
and subdirectories with files in one shot.

If I use "_rmdir", it gives me the error no = 13. which is EACCES. Which
tells me that the permission is denied. I checked the permission on the
dir. It has read and write permission. I even issued an "access"
routine/command from my code to check the permission. It is read and
write. 

I can delete the directory from File Manager since I am logged in as
admin. But, I can not do that
from Dos prompt. From Dos Prompt, It seems like it is deleting the dir.
It would not give any error
message, but it does not delete it. I even tried replacing the
permissions of subdirectories to Full Control from the root
directory(c:\) for Everyone and Guest.

If the information that I have provided is not enough to answer my
question, please let me know.
I will try to give more info. 

Any response is appreciated....

Thanks
Rajen
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".