Subject: CR/LF/NL Question..
From: [email-masked] (Keet)

9 Jan 1997 15:08:34 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

*** This is a repeat of a message over the hollidays, but I don't think it
was ever distro'ed to the Cygwin mailing list ***

        i finally figured out what happened to my FuzzBall software and why
it wouldn't read the database right. It turns out, that when it saves, it
saves it like the example below:

#0<lf><cr>
1114827<lf><cr>
/_/de:63k0h38hfd8k<lf><cr>

and when typed to the screen it reveals distinct seperate lines. The unix
saved database is distinctly different. it would look like this

#0<lf>
1114827<lf>
/_/de:63k0h38hfd8k<lf>

(Of course in the above examples the <cr> can be replaced with \r and <lf>
can be replaced with \n)

and when this is typed to the screen, it reveals each segment as possible
part of the line above. so i wrote a quick program in QuickBasic that
removes the CR and adds the LF to the end of it, therefore, making the
database work. only one problem. when the database is saved again every four
hours or so, it defaults back to the CR's and seeming as how the file is
being used by the server, i cannot run another program on the file to alter
it, or if i did, i get a returned write error 'Access Denied' (how
appropriet). i did read through the online documents for b17.1 and noticed
that there is a way to force the dos CR/LF thing, and i was wondering if
this would be the option, and where in my registrey would i set it. the
win95 registrey has only one directory for 'Cygnus Support' and under that
is 'CYGWIN.DLL Settings' and under that is 'b15.0' and under that the
mounts. does anyone know anything about how to fix this, or how to force a
LF at the end of each line, instead of CR (not looking for a LFCR combo..
just LF)???

FYI: this problem DID result in an error in 'Cygwin_Except_Handler', so if
your writing databases or numerous files and you get that error, but no
debug information, here's something to check into.

- Keet
[email-masked]

\---------------------------------------------\
 \  Keet  |   [email-masked]           \
  \---------------------------------------------\
   \ http://localsonly.wilmington.net/~keetnet/  \--\
    \---------------------------------------------\  \
        \ Keet On FurryMUCK, Furtoonia, TrailsMUCK,   \
      /--\ FluffMUCK, Lion King MUCK                   \
     /    \---------------------------------------------\
    / Furry Code 1.2:                             /
   / FA[parakeet]6fmsw A-- C- D+ H++ M+++ P+ R+  /
  / T++++ W Z Sm RL# a# cn++ d+ e# f++++ h#     /
 / i++>+++ p* sm#                              /
/---------------------------------------------/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".