Subject: gdbm-1.7.3 under Cygnus
From: [email-masked] ("A. Phillip Smith")

8 Jan 1997 19:42:19 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Has *anyone* been successful in porting GDBM 1.7.3 to run under Cygnus
b17.1 ? I'm pretty far along with a port (i.e., everything compiles/links),
but there are a few low level problems in conjunction with partial writes
(possibly due to fsync bugs). They apparenty are the cause of partial read
errors. Under Unix, the system guartantees that the number of requested
bytes is returned if they are available in the file. Gdbm fails to get
the requested number of bytes in a single read. This may be the problem,
OR the cached data may not be written back to the file due to a broken
fsync(), thus causing the read errors. I have more debugging/tests to
further isolate it.

Does anyone have any insight into the above problems ? If a working port
of gdbm has been done, I'd like to know how this has been overcome.

Phil Smith
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".