Subject: fstat / stat broken ?
From: [email-masked] ("A. Phillip Smith")

8 Jan 1997 11:23:28 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In the course of trying to port gdbm-1.7.3, I came across
many of the same bucket management bugs reported elsewhere. I
also found that under b17.1 neither fstat() or stat() seem to
return the st_size element of the stat structure. Has anyone else
seem this ? Is there a fix/patch ?

In my tests, I run testgdbm and save the test database. When testgdbm
is run again, it SHOULD load the old database, but it thinks its
empty. I confirmed this using the GNU debugger -- the stat structures
look reasonable EXCEPT is shows file_stat.st_size == 0 in the gdbm_open()
function. This seems like a big omission. 

By the way, due to licensing issues, I've also built the gdbm 1.5
version which was already ported to MSDOS and is covered by the
GNU Public License. However, building the same code under Cygnus
yielded the same fstat() related problems. Comments are welcome.

Phil Smith
Applications Engineering, Inc.
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".