Subject: Re: man program anywhere?
From: [email-masked] (Ed Huott)

6 Jan 1997 18:43:19 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Mon, 06 Jan 1997 11:17:24 PST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, "J. P. Shipherd" writes:
>Aurel Balmosan writes:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I installed the version beta 17.1 but I am missing the man program.
> > There are some manual pages but where is the program to read them.
> > Also nroff/groff is missing. (which is needed to read the manual
> > pages) I downloaded all.tar.gz. Do I need an addtional package for
> > these tools?
>
>I posted this question earlier.  Unfortunatly it seems that there are
>more questions then answers on this list.
>
>I don't think there is a win32 version of man.  But the man pages are
>available in winhelp format from:
>
> http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/
>
>I got this info by looking at the archive for this mailing list at:
>
>http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/subject.html
>
>--jp
>
You might be able to format man pages using groff, which is also
available at:

   http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/groff-1.10nt.zip

I haven't tried this, but it should work, assuming the package
includes the standard filter macros ("an" for the "-man" option in
particular).  For example, to display the man page for the 'du'
command you would type:

  groff -man c:\gnu-win32\man\man1\du.1

(Adjust the path to du.1 to wherever it lives in your installation.)

> > BTW: In my installation the bash has a problem finding dos executables
> > in the PATH. E.g: edit. Is this a common problem? 
> > -
> Can't speak for anyone else, but I can't run dos programs either.

I haven't had any trouble running most DOS/NT programs from inside
bash on a normal 17.1 installation.  The exception seems to be .COM
programs.  Bash apparently doesn't deal with these and consequently
won't find them in the PATH if referenced by name only.  It will find
them in the path if you specify the extension (e.g. edit.COM), but it
will tell you it can't execute the binary file.  

To run .COM programs from inside bash, try invoking them using 
"cmd /c <progname>".  For example, to run edit.COM try:

  bash$ cmd /c edit

This seems to work fine for me.  Hope this helps.

<ED>
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".