Subject: DU 17.1 fails to access next directory(s)
From: [email-masked] ("Ralph Koroly")

3 Jan 1997 17:09:56 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Cygnus GNU Bugs" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: "Ralph M Koroly" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Here is an example of a problem with du 17.1
Bash was running to redirect all output to files.
The first command, ls describes the root directory of NTFS disk //D.
The next command du appears to work fine until the directory changes.
Please see the end of the du list.
This machine is a DELL XPS P133C using WINNT 4.0 SP2.
The //D device is NTFS format ... should not be a problem.

Ralph Koroly [[email-masked]]

ls: cygnus.txt: Permission denied
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  12 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 LOCAL
drwxr-xr-x   8 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 Nt4A
drwxr-xr-x   8 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x   6 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 RECYCLER
drwxr-xr-x  10 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 TEMP
drwxr-xr-x 107 500      everyone        0 Dec 31  1969 WINT4A
du: ./cygnus.txt: Permission denied
40	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/ActiveX
44	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/Browser
20	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/FONTS/PFM
354	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/FONTS
254	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/HELP
1	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/Optional
448	./LOCAL/Acrobat3/PLUG_INS
2591	./LOCAL/Acrobat3
5781	./LOCAL/cygnus/bin
1	./LOCAL/cygnus/etc
8	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/arpa
4	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/asm
10	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/cygwin32
6	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/machine
1	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/net
3	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/netinet
34	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/sys
286	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/Windows32
423	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include
0	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/install-tools
7	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib/ldscripts
5867	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib
6289	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32
237	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/libexec/awk
618	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/libexec
6907	./LOCAL/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32
1037	./LOCAL/cygnus/info
425	./LOCAL/cygnus/man/man1
15	./LOCAL/cygnus/man/man3
3	./LOCAL/cygnus/man/man5
442	./LOCAL/cygnus/man
0	./LOCAL/cygnus/share
14217	./LOCAL/cygnus
66	./LOCAL/DkLite/Analyze
72	./LOCAL/DkLite/Defrag
848	./LOCAL/DkLite
1797	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Cache
123	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Live3D/DATA
972	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Live3D
3	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Mail
0	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/News
349	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Program/Java/classes
349	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Program/Java
264	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Program/plugins
2256	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Program
0	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator/Security
5101	./LOCAL/Netscape/Navigator
5101	./LOCAL/Netscape
341	./LOCAL/NTRESKIT/Perl
1079	./LOCAL/NTRESKIT/POSIX
26	./LOCAL/NTRESKIT/TdiTrace
12002	./LOCAL/NTRESKIT
402	./LOCAL/XCURSION/COMMON
6	./LOCAL/XCURSION/KEYSYMS
121	./LOCAL/XCURSION/Keysyms1
1229	./LOCAL/XCURSION/X86
1757	./LOCAL/XCURSION
73	./LOCAL/XWIN32/LIB
630	./LOCAL/XWIN32
37468	./LOCAL
du: ./Nt4A: No such file or directory
du: ./Program Files: No such file or directory
du: ./RECYCLER: No such file or directory
du: ./TEMP: No such file or directory
du: ./WINT4A: No such file or directory
37468	.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".