Subject: RE: Observations and suggestions
From: [email-masked] (Aurel Balmosan)

3 Jan 1997 17:03:23 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Maillist Cygnus)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL21]
Content-Length: 1485      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,
I followed this discussion about being compatible to something. 
Personally I do not see a reason for that. But the creators of cygnus.dll
should think what cygnus.dll should provide: A) a unix compatible 
environment. or B) a unix/windows mix. 

For a unix compatible environment mixed-case filenames must be always allowed
(and only mixed-case filenames (no special filename cryptic for this)) 
Also there should not be a difference between ASCII and BINARY files
and file systems. (If a certain file-system is only capable of fixed
case filenames than these files should be mapped to lower case (eg.))
I think that adding to much windows/dos compatible options will make the
porting of unix programs to gnu-win32 difficult (and maybe that program
only runs correctly if some environment variables are set to some value)

I would prefer if the standard unix environment is available with 
gnu-win32. (Otherwise I see many problems porting/compiling programs
with gnu-win32. (Eg. XFree86 the free x86 X-Server) Or the pipe 
communication between parent and child where binary data are transfered.
So no need for implicit \n\r conversion.  ) 

What about making two different cygnus.dll's. One for a full unix
environment. The other for a unix/windows/dos mix. (Here I see many
problems with a unix/windows/dos mix to be compatible)

Of course this is only my own opinion. What I would like to now is
if I am alone with this? Or if some others see it like I do.

	Aurel Balmosan

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".