Subject: Re: Problem with mount and MS cl.exe
From: [email-masked] (Ed Huott)

3 Jan 1997 12:24:28 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, Blake McBride writes:
>
>In DOS (NT command prompt) the option introduction character is defaulted
>to '/' as apposed to Unix's '-'.  cl is reading the /f as a compiler
>option.  This has nothing to do with bash and can't even be addressed
>by bash.  You'd have the same problem in unix if you had a file whose
>name started with a hyphen.  It'd be best in this case if you just
>used the backslashes.
>
>--blake
>
I thought that the use of '/' instead of '-' as an option switch was
probably contributing to the problem.  But I had somehow gotten the
impression from the docs that the shell and/or cygwin.dll would do the
appropriate path name translation for the "DOS" program.

I realize now that this would be impossible.  As you pointed out,
there's no way for the shell to know which arguments to the program
were options and which were paths to files.

Too bad, though.  For a while there it was beginning to look like it
would be a really neat way to normalize the path names for the Unix
and NT builds in a shared project file system.  I'll just have to
stick with doing the path name acrobatics inside of GNU make.

<ED>
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".