Subject: Re: Observations and suggestions
From: [email-masked] (Ernie Rael)

1 Jan 1997 17:39:18 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Original-To: Blake McBride <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Forte Agent .99g/32.339
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996 23:52:22 -0600, Blake McBride wrote:

> ...
>ago.  I am excited about the prospects of having that environment =
available
>for NT but feel that it unnecessarily falls short in a few critical

I'm pretty jazzed myself, i've recently picked it up and am
just now getting around to really trying to use it.

>ASCII MODE PIPES
>----------------
>
>As has been reported, this kills all attempts at pipes which perform
>binary communications for example:  gzip -dc file.tar.gz |tar xvf -

Oh, so thats why gzip|tar wasn't working. After reading your note,
i came across the '-b' option to mount, and i tried mounting root
and tmp using this option. I then started a new login shell and
bash got errors reading it's profile. I have a very small profile
i'm working with now, during login i got
	: command not found
	: command not found
	bash.exe: c:/users/err/.bash_profile: line 12: syntax error:
					 unexpected end of file
	bash$
There's some funny stuff going on. Any ideas what?

>My suggestion, which may solve the problem for everyone, is to
>default to binary pipes and then allow this mode to be modified
>via something akin to an environment variable or 'set' option.

I absolutely agree that binary pipes *must* be the default. I don't
fully understand the issues or what translations are actually
going on. I did read somewhere that there the cygwin dll was
doing some character mapping in may cases. If anything, turning
a \r\n into a \n might one mode of operation, but this could be
done by insterting a 'tr' in the pipeline. Seems real dangerous,
and entirely contrary to unix, to be modifying the byte stream.

Is there a description of what the detailed intent and usage and
meaning of "ascii pipes", and how this is supposed to help with
the \r\n dos thing? I picked up the source so i can look there
for doc; some pointers would be appreciated. I'm scanning through
the archive now.

-ernie
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".