Subject: termcap for less?
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

28 Dec 1996 11:36:48 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked] (Unverified)
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello all,

I've downloaded a version of less from http://members.aol.com/marknudel/less
which works well as long as I do not attempt to use it in a DOS window with
a scroll bar.  If I use it in a window with a scroll bar, it sets the window
back to the beginning, does its stuff, and then exits, leaving me some place
in the window which already has text from previous operations.  I'd like it
to place me back to the line after the one from which I had invoked less, to
avoid overwriting previous output during subsequent commands.  According to
the FAQ on the less web page, what happens after less exits is dependent on
the terminal's response to the "te" termcap string.  I have tried less with
my TERM set to win32 (for vim), ansi, vt100, and dumb, all to no avail. I
don't claim to know allot about terminal settings and the termcap file but
since the one I have only has an entry for ansi and this doesn't do what I
want, I was wondering if someone out there has a more comprehensive termcap
file which will fix my less problems.

Any ideas?  I'm running (at the moment) b14 on a Pentium 133 running
NT 3.51 SP4.

Thanks,

Larry Hall                                                      [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                             

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".