Subject: CR/LF problem...
From: [email-masked] (Keet)

25 Dec 1996 06:36:36 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

        i finally figured out what happened to my FuzzBall software and why
it wouldn't read the database right. It turns out, that when it saves, it
saves it like the example below:

#0<cr>
1114827<cr>
/_/de:63k0h38hfd8k<cr>

and when typed to the screen it reveals distinct seperate lines. The unix
saved database is distinctly different. it would look like this

#0<lf>
1114827<lf>
/_/de:63k0h38hfd8k<lf>

and when this is typed to the screen, it reveals each segment as possible
part of the line above. so i wrote a quick program in QuickBasic that
removes the CR and adds the LF to the end of it, therefore, making the
database work. only one problem. when the database is saved again every four
hours or so, it defaults back to the CR's and seeming as how the file is
being used by the server, i cannot run another program on the file to alter
it, or if i did, i get a returned write error 'Access Denied' (how
approiet). i did read through the online documents and noticed that there is
a way to force the dos CR/LF thing, and i was wondering if this would be the
option, and where in my registrey would i set it. the win95 registrey has
only one directory for 'Cygnus Support' and under that is 'CYGWIN.DLL
Settings' and under that is 'b15.0' and under that the mounts. does anyone
know anything about how to fix this, or how to force a LF at the end of each
line, instead of CR???

FYI: this problem DID result in an error in 'Cygwin_Except_Handler', so if
your writing databases or numerous files and you get that error, but no
debug information, here's something to check into.

- Keet
[email-masked]

\---------------------------------------------\
 \  Keet  |   [email-masked]           \
  \---------------------------------------------\
   \ http://localsonly.wilmington.net/~keetnet/  \--\
    \---------------------------------------------\  \
        \ Keet On FurryMUCK, Furtoonia, TrailsMUCK,   \
      /--\ FluffMUCK, Lion King MUCK                   \
     /    \---------------------------------------------\
    / Furry Code 1.2:                             /
   / FA[parakeet]6fmsw A-- C- D+ H++ M+++ P+ R+  /
  / T++++ W Z Sm RL# a# cn++ d+ e# f++++ h#     /
 / i++>+++ p* sm#                              /
/---------------------------------------------/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".