Subject: Re: GUI
From: [email-masked] (Keith Mason)

22 Dec 1996 17:36:48 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL11]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> > > Are any of the compiler tools going to get a GUI?  I think it would
> > > be great to simply click option boxs for command line parameters, or
> > > browse for source files.
> > 
> > Visual C++ is pretty cheap if you want a GUI.   Personally, I don't
> > know why you'd want that - I recently prototyped a project with Visual
> > C++ and then converted it to build under Cygwin32, and breathed a big
> > sigh of relief when I was finally able to type ``make'' instead of
> > having to screw around with the damned GUI (Godawful User Interface).
> 
> Yes. That's great idea. And when you are at it, use 'vi', what a GREAT
> editor. And then, what a GREAT relief of not using the GUI debugger!!!
> For instance, instead of just clicking over the name of something to
> be displayed at the screen, type gdb's commands (how easy isn't it?
> Oh! you forgot it, type help !)

Sarcasm aside, I think a GUI is actually a good idea.  I'm presently
working in WinNT with an embedded compiler/debugger set (GCC just didn't
have what I needed at the time I needed it), and aside from a slight
lack of features (no ability to make arbitrary function calls, for one)
I found it equally easy to use as gdb.

I still use emacs/make for my editing and compiling environment, but
the GUI for the debugger is definitely superior to the gdb command-line
interface.  And the reason is *NOT* because the commands are cryptic
or there's a lot of typing in gdb (I don't like to use the mouse anyway
because it takes longer to move to a menu item and drag than it does to
hit two or three keys); it's because a GUI has a much better ability to
*display* nformation than a single rectangular text screen.  The debugger
I'm using does indeed still have a command-line interface, and sometimes
it's necessary to use that; but in those rare cases, I think that simply
adding one or two controls would have solved those problems.  And being
GNU software, we'd have that ability.

Now, just because Visual C++ is garbage as a GUI (heck, it's garbage,
period) doesn't mean a good GUI can't be written.  In fact, I should
think the person limiting his thinking of how good a GUI could be by
using a Microsoft program as an example should be ashamed of himself
for even considering the comparison!

  -- Keith

PS: I happen to like VI as an editor.  It does have its limitations,
so more recently I've switched to Emacs in VI mode... now THERE'S a
great editor!
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".