Subject: Re: make.exe crashes under Windows 95
From: [email-masked] (Martin Hamilton)

20 Dec 1996 13:43:51 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="==_Exmh_-901189212P";
	micalg=pgp-md5; protocol="application/pgp-signature"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Brian C. Jepson" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
X-Uri: <URL:http://www.net.lut.ac.uk/~martin>
In-Reply-To: Your message of "Wed, 18 Dec 1996 20:10:35 GMT."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

--==_Exmh_-901189212P
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

"Brian C. Jepson" writes:

| However, when I invoke make, even without a Makefile present, it
| crashes with a random error (GPF the last time), usually in make
| (according to the error message, when you click on the details button). My
| whole setup is on a doublespaced zip drive (how hairy can you get?), and
| when I move the cygwin DLL to the local drive, it crashes in the DLL,
| rather than in make. 

I had this too (on my Windows 95 laptop with B17.1), and managed to 
make it go away by rebuilding make from source with a

  #define NO_FLOAT

in its config.h

This seems to disable the bit of make which blows up on my machine, 
but also slightly breaks it - you need to list the C source for a 
particular object file explcitly, e.g.

  blah.o: blah.c

in your Makefiles.  I'm not interested or experienced enough with
make to draw any sensible conclusions about what's going on...

If you want to try my make out, you can grab a copy from:

<URL:ftp://ftp.net.lut.ac.uk/martin/ssh-win32/make.exe>

You can tell when you're running this one because it says "blah blah 
blah" from time to time :-)

Cheerio,

Martin

PS I also found that (the precompiled) gcc with -O optimisation
occasionally locks up, and on not particularly complex or long chunks 
of code.  Anyone else had this ?

--==_Exmh_-901189212P
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

--==_Exmh_-901189212P--
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".