Subject: RockRidge for Win95/NT
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Blackman)

19 Dec 1996 17:52:19 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

After my post about UNIX filesystems under Windows, I got a LOT of 
requests asking about where a tool to mount RockRidge CDs under Windows 
could be found.

Perhaps I should rephrase that.  The RockRidge utility for Win95/NT that 
I've seen does not let you access a RockRidge formatted CD as a normal 
drive...it's a set of a driver file and a utility program (sort of like a 
File Manager program) which allows you to view the contents of a 
RockRidge CD and copy it back onto the hard drive.

Unfortunately, as far as I know it's not publically available.  It was 
written as an internal-use tool for the company I used to work for, and I 
don't think it was ever released outside the company.  My comment was 
merely intended as an answer that it's theoretically possible to read a 
UNIX CD under Windows.

I thought I'd post this to the list before anyone else asked where to 
find such a utility. :/  Sorry...I no longer have my copy (my workstation 
remained at the last place I worked, and I forgot to grab R3 
(RockRidgeRead) off the hard drive before I left) so even if it HAD been 
released publically, I wouldn't have a copy to give out. :(

However, since it IS possible, someone else could design a RockRidge 
reader for Windows, presumably. :)

--Jeremy
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".