Subject: Re: Gnu-Win32 and Tcl/Tk
From: [email-masked] (Trevor Yann)

17 Dec 1996 16:34:48 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <1.5.4.32.19961218204907.003024b8.cygnus.gnu-win32@mailhost>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: ty@mailhost
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Kirk W. Benson wrote:

>A couple of comments on interfacing Gnu-win32 and TCL:
>

stuff deleted

>b. File handles.  The DLL uses NT handles to represent open files within the
>channel structures.  Therefore, a channel cannot be registered with the DLL
>using an fd returned from a Gbu-win32 function.  Using an fd as an event
>source will require an API call which returns the NT Handle given a fd; a
>converse function to import a NT Handle into the fd space would also be needed.

Both Microsoft and Borland compilers provide the functions:

int _open_osfhandle(long handle, int flags)
        to obtain a file descriptor for a win32 handle

long _get_osfhandle(int filehandle)
        to obtain a win32 handle for a file descriptor

These functions are declared in io.h (which gnu-win32 does not currently have).

I'm not sure whether or not it would be straight forward to add these
functions, as some of the file descriptors have 2 associated file handles
(e.g. tty descriptors). Maybe it would be enough if these functions could be
implemented to work correctly with those file descriptors which require only
a single win32 handle.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".