Subject: BUG REPORT: xargs getting "environment is too large for exec" in b17.1
From: [email-masked] (Robert)

16 Dec 1996 18:02:08 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mail User's Shell (7.2.6 alpha(3) 7/19/95)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Message has been automatically signed by PGPsendmail 1.4,
available from ftp.atnf.csiro.au:pub/people/rgooch

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I read through the FAQ & www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 and there was no mention
of precisely this problem.

It seems that the xargs.exe (/bin/xargs.exe) that comes with b17.1 does not
work for me.  This is the same sort of problem I had before, and with my
hacked-up version of xargs, things work great.

But, the way I "fixed" the code was to comment out the error-checking!
I.e., I comment out the line:

  if (arg_max > 20 * 1024)

such that arg_max is always set to 20 * 1024.  I'm guessing that
arg_max is set to negative so later when it reaches:

  if (arg_max <= 0)

the environment is "too large" all fails.

Is anyone else having this problem?  I'm hacking around it fine, but I don't
understand why I seem to be the only one affected by this bug.

P.S. On a different topic, in
     www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/patches/findutils-instr, the
     instructions for changing "fstype.c" is no longer true -- if you put
     the "int MOUNTED = 0" line in there, find won't compile.

- -- 
Internet: [email-masked]           In real life: Robert Brown,
URL: http://www.purl.org/net/robert_brown              in sunny Berkeley, CA
            >> Tony Blair for president! <<            waiting for The Big One
>> Those who seek easy answers get final solutions. << (510) 464-4604

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".