Subject: Possible file permissions bug with sh.exe ?
From: [email-masked] (Alvin Garcia)

16 Dec 1996 06:22:39 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello,
	I'm having problems using a public-domain package I've compiled with 
gnu-win32.  (The package is called LVQ-PAK-3.1.  It's a Learning Vector 
Quantizer program for those interested).  Anyway, I have a sh.exe script 
which executes various programs from this LVQ-PAK package.  The problem I'm 
encountering is that when sh.exe gets to a line in my script which executes 
one of the LVQ-PAK programs, lvq1.exe, the program lvq1.exe stops because it 
cannot open a particular file for writing.  The strange thing is that if I 
issue the exact same command from a bash.exe prompt, the program runs fine, 
with no problems opening the file for writing.  I also tried building the 
troubled program using MS Visual C++.  Again when my sh.exe script goes to 
execute the program, I get a "permission denied" error message, which 
corresponds to the EACCES error code in UNIX errno.h.  Strangely enough, if I 
issue the exact same command from a "DOS" prompt, I encounter no such errors.  
Is there a difference, permissions-wise, between running a program from within 
a sh.exe script and running the same program from the bash.exe prompt?  I 
checked through the FAQ and mailing list archive and couldn't find anything.  
If anyone knows the solution, PLEASE help me -- I'm getting very desperate!  

Thanks.

-Alvin

p.s.-Could you please cc:  your reply to [email-masked]?  Thanks again.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".