Subject: RE: can't open -lgcc
From: [email-masked] (Ian)

13 Dec 1996 12:12:05 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (16)
Original-To: Colin Peters <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 05:05 PM 12/13/96 +0900, Colin Peters wrote:
[snipped my problem -- it's solved :)  ]
>So, the *real* error is that ld can't find libgcc.a. So, search for that file,
>and while you're at it, why not find all the lib*.a files included with the
>distribution (they should be in two or three directories at most). Then set an
>environment variable called LIBRARY_PATH to a list of all these directories.
>For example, my LIBRARY_PATH is "/usr/lib:/usr/win32/lib", but my setup is, I
>must tell you, quite different from your standard GNU or Cygnus setup.

First of all, thank you all very much; I can compile now! :)
The problem was that although I had LIBRARY_PATH properly set in my .bashrc, 
I was an idiot and didn't check that $LIBRARY_PATH actually had the value 
which I gave it. It seems that for some reason bash can't initialize the 
variable (although it can change its value if it is already initialized), so
all that was needed was to set LIBRARY_PATH too foo in my autoexec.bat and 
then change it in my .bashrc

This was also neccessary for my C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH (and 
it would no doubt have saved me some embarassment had I remembered that). 
Why can bash not initialize these vars?

Ian

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".