Subject: Re: Problem with 'more' in 'bash'
From: [email-masked] (Richard Donkin)

13 Dec 1996 09:26:50 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> Hi,
> 
> The 'more' command supplied with Windows95 doesn't work in 'bash':
> 
>       example:
>               ls -l | more
>               bash.exe: more: command not found
> 
>               ls -l | more.com
>               more.com: /WINDOWS/COMMAND/more.com: cannot execute binary 
file
> 
>               which more
>               more:
>                       c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\more.COM
> 
>               ls -l | more.COM
>               more.COM: /WINDOWS/COMMAND/more.COM: cannot execute binary 
file
> 
> 'more' is definetely in the 'PATH'.
> 
> I think I would need a .exe version of more.  Does it exist?  Is it the
> problem?

There is a problem in executing certain DOS .COM commands under bash on 
Win95.  For example, edit.com and command.com work OK, but sys.com and 
more.com do not.  This is hardly worth worrying about as you can always do:

    ls -l | command.com /c more.com
    
(Note that 'command' without the .com is a bash builtin.)  Although this 
works it is useless because more.com does not understand that \n should 
become \r\n on output.

Anyway, I suggest you get 'less', which is much more capable than the 
brain-dead Win95 'more', which cannot even page backwards or search - there 
is a direct Win32 port if you want to get something quickly (search for 
less321w.zip), or you can get the less 330 source and compile it for 
Gnu-Win32.

While we are talking about this horrible Win95 stuff - I have some shell 
functions that make it easier to run DOS commands, open Windows documents, 
and start the Windows Explorer at a particular (Unix-format) directory 
pathname. Handy if you don't have X installed and/or need to use Windows 
stuff alongside bash. The latter includes the equivalent of cdable_vars in 
bash, so you can just say 'exp l' to open up Explorer at $l (/usr/local for 
me).  Anyone who wants a copy can email me, I don't want to post them to the 
list.

I also have a couple of Perl scripts that monitor the uptime of a Win32 
system and calculate the MTBF.  Since Nov 30, this Win95 system has had an 
MTBF of just 11 hours - some of the reboots are planned, but most are due to 
crashes, and this includes idle time overnight.  Sad but true...

Richard
--
[email-masked]                http://www.inside-edge.co.uk/
Inside Edge Consultancy           Client/Server and Internet Applications
PGP key from:  [email-masked]  -or-  http://www.four11.com/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".