Subject: can someone explain the idea behind b17 tree structure?
From: [email-masked] ("Marcus S. Yoo")

12 Dec 1996 07:47:23 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

:David Ross said
>Also, I've got a suggestion for the developers...  Make the distribution
>have a directory which can be mounted as / and looks just like a standard
>UNIX filesystem.  I'm finding that since I don't really know the standard

I agree with David on this. The b14 release looked very clean. I just put
everything under /usr directory, and things looked just like a unix file
system (which is good, since cygnus package is emulating unix using gnu).
But with b17 (and b16 as well), I just can't get a handle on those long
names. What does "H-..." mean? Why is there "...i386-cygwin..." subdirectory
under a directory named "...i386-cygwin..."? This makes navigating
very difficult, especially since bash will not complete file names
if you have a "../" in the file name. Also, what with the multiple
"bin" and "lib" directories? (I can understand multiple "include" directories,
but, multiple "bin/" and "lib/"? Why?

While I'm at it, there seems to be some bug in cygwin.dll that prevents
you from reading the contents of the root directory of any partition.
There is also some problems in reading ".." directory (from bash).

Well, having said all that, I still think that this cygnus project
is great. It's head and shoulders above anything else out there (including
virtual unix stuff, which is fairly good too). Thanks to noer (and who
ever else contributed)...
--
Marcus S. Yoo ([email-masked]) | For God so loved the world, that he gave
Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.     | his  only  begotten Son,  that whosoever
755 College Rd. E.,     609-734-3313 | believeth in him should not perish,  but
Princeton, NJ 08540       fax: -6565 | have  everlasting  life.   --  John 3:16
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".