Subject: RE: Problems with pipes under b17 solved - thanks.
From: Scott Kay<[email-masked]>

12 Dec 1996 06:19:10 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Scott Kay<[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Thanks to Tim Endres for the explanation -
I
Tim> It is a known problem that piping into tar does not
Tim> work, because the pipe operates in "ascii" mode which
Tim> screws up the tar headers. You need to gunzip the all.tar.gz
Tim> file then tar -xvf all.tar.

In my previous message I also noted that I could not kill the rogue
'zcat' or 'gzip' process - again pilot error, I was using the
win32-pid instead of the pid. It does work correctly with the pid.

I guess the question that remains is why the change between b16 and
b17. I "absolutely" maintain the b16 behavior of 
'zcat all.tar.gz |tar xvf - ' worked fine (it was how I installed b17)
with the b16 versions of 'zcat' and 'tar' while the b17 versions fail
as noted above. Has the mode of the pipe operation somehow changed?
Just curious and wondering if a change was made what was the
rationale?

-Scott

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
			      Scott Kay
			    Powersoft Corp
			   561 Virginia Rd
			  Concord, MA 01742
		      email: [email-masked]
			  FAX: 508-287-2557
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".