Subject: Re: ws2_32.dll and other problems installing b17/b17.1 on NFS
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

12 Dec 1996 00:13:40 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "[email-masked]" at Dec 12, 96 01:36:56 am
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Length: 1129      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I just attempted installing first b17, than b17.1, with the same results.
> I unpacked all.tar.gz using gtar on the unix NFS server and have set
> PATH and GCC_EXE_PREFIX on NT3.51/SP4.

This sort of thing can get tricky fast -- depending on how the Unix/NT
sharing works.  We've used samba with success.  I haven't tried other
mechanisms.

> Also I'm curious why you use hardlinks instead of softlinks.

This was quite intentional.  Unpacking the tools under NT/Win 95,
many archive programs (maybe even including the gnu-win32 tar program; I
haven't checked yet) don't know what to do with symlinks and end up
throwing the information out and breaking the release.

> A final note: ls -alR and such things are very inconvenient if there are
> neither more nor less in the binary release.

I would like to include "less".  I haven't had the time to get
cross-compiling of ncurses and less working yet though so it'll have
to wait until someone does this.  They should build with the native
tools so I included the sources in the usersrc tar file.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".