Subject: ws2_32.dll and other problems installing b17/b17.1 on NFS
From: [email-masked]

11 Dec 1996 20:15:23 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi all,

I just attempted installing first b17, than b17.1, with the same results.
I unpacked all.tar.gz using gtar on the unix NFS server and have set
PATH and GCC_EXE_PREFIX on NT3.51/SP4. Then I tried inserting an icon for
the program manager, which complained about missing read permissions of
H-i386-cygwin32, although it's rx for everyone on the server. My workaround
was a symlink named i386 on the unix side. Then I could create and start
the icon, and gcc -v worked in the bin directory, but cd to another place
on the NFS drive and invoking any gnuwin utility complained about a missing
WS2_32.DLL, which of cause doesn't exist anywhere.
So I couldn't compile my program, but I still have b16 on another box on it's
local drive...

Also I'm curious why you use hardlinks instead of softlinks. I've never used
hard links on unix, always symlinks, as this is easier to see with ls -l,
since I need no -i, and disk space calculations are also easier.
I expect a good tar to convert symlinks to hardlinks, if they aren't supported
on a system, or fall back to multiple copies of the file.
However, I don't know what POSIX says about this!

A final note: ls -alR and such things are very inconvenient if there are
neither more nor less in the binary release.

Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".