Subject: Bash termcap and history file
From: [email-masked] (Richard Donkin)

11 Dec 1996 09:50:52 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Using B17 on Win95 with the provided bash 1.14.6(1), I have a couple of 
problems:

1. Currently bash has TERM=dumb, so inserting into a command line using 
readline re-outputs the rest of the line, quite slowly.

I have tried setting TERM=ansi and pointing TERMCAP to an older Gnu-Win32 
termcap, and to the VIM termcap, but neither has any effect.

Has anyone managed to work around this?  If so, please post the relevant 
termcap entry or whatever.

2. I can't get the history file working properly.  Specifically, 'history 
-r' does not work - it does not give an error message but does nothing to 
the history list, with or without a filename.  I can do 'history -w' OK (and 
bash saves it automatically as well), but bash never reads this in again on 
startup, with 'bash -login' or just 'bash'.  Also, 'history -a' does 
nothing.  

My variable settings look like:

HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/richardd/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
command_oriented_history=

Again, I am curious whether there is a workaround to this.  

Thanks

Richard
--
[email-masked]                http://www.inside-edge.co.uk/
Inside Edge Consultancy           Client/Server and Internet Applications
PGP key from:  [email-masked]  -or-  http://www.four11.com/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".