Subject: b17 problems
From: [email-masked] ("Weiqi Gao")

10 Dec 1996 02:13:08 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I downloaded the b17 all.tar.gz, cygwin.dll, tar.exe, gunzip.exe as
described in the readme files.

1.  First off, I downloaded the all.tar.gz into a directory called
E:\GNU-WIN32 and the other three into E:\CYGNUS and put E:\CYGNUS in the
PATH.  I then CD-ed to E:\CYGNUS and issued the command:
  E:\CYGNUS> gunzip \gnu-win32\all.tar.gz
I was greeted by the following message:
  \gnu-win32\all.tar.gz: No such file or directory
The command line:
  E:\CYGNUS> gunzip -d e:\gnu-win32\all.tar.gz
worked fine.  This to me sounds like a bug somewhere.

2.  I then tried the command line:
  E:\CYGNUS> tar xvf \gnu-win32\all.tar
and was greeted by the message:
  //E/CYGNUS/TAR.EXE: Cannot open \gnu-win32\all.tar: No such process
When I tried the command line:
  E:\CYGNUS> tar xvf e:\gnu-win32\all.tar
I got an exception:
==============================================================
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) In cygwin_except_handler
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) Exception trapped!
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) exception C0000005 at 40D29D
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) exception: ax 0 bx 4594826 cx 255F9E7 dx 4594837
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) exception: si 5 di 100113BF bp 255F1F0 sp 255F18C
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) Stack trace:
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 0: sp = 0x255EFA4, pc = 0x1001282A
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 1: sp = 0x255EFC0, pc = 0xBFF7663C
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 2: sp = 0x255EFE4, pc = 0xBFF859D9
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 3: sp = 0x255F07C, pc = 0xFFECBAD7
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 4: sp = 0x255F1F0, pc = 0x40223E
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 5: sp = 0x255F250, pc = 0x40A9CA
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 6: sp = 0x255F270, pc = 0x4111EF
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 7: sp = 0x255F280, pc = 0x10011BEB
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 8: sp = 0x255FE14, pc = 0x10011BFF
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 9: sp = 0x255FE20, pc = 0x427A68
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 10: sp = 0x255FE30, pc = 0x401012
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 11: sp = 0x255FE38, pc = 0xBFF88F75
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 12: sp = 0x255FF78, pc = 0xBFF88E23
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 13: sp = 0x255FFF4, pc = 0xBFF8783F
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) frame 14: sp = 0x815A81EC, pc = 0x4
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) In cygwin_except_handler
(E:\CYGNUS\TAR.EXE 1000) Error while dumping state (probably corrupted
stack)
==============================================================
I then moved the all.tar file to E:\CYGNUS, and unpacked it OK.

3.  I then went to the E:\GNU-WIN32 directory and unpacked all.tar there. 
After deleting ALL* from both E:\CYGNUS and E:\GNU-WIN32, I issued the du
command from both directories.  The results are different!
==============================================================
E:\CYGNUS> du
30     
../H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-961023/include/
objc
79     
../H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-961023/include
3140    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-961023
3140    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32
3140    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib
6361    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib
5780    ./H-i386-cygwin32/bin
1       ./H-i386-cygwin32/etc
237     ./H-i386-cygwin32/libexec/awk
618     ./H-i386-cygwin32/libexec
12759   ./H-i386-cygwin32
425     ./man/man1
15      ./man/man3
3       ./man/man5
442     ./man
1037    ./info
0       ./share
15833   .
==============================================================

==============================================================
E:\GNU-WIN32> du
8       ./include/readline
37      ./include/g++/std
271     ./include/g++/gen
670     ./include/g++
747     ./include
3061    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-961023
3061    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32
3061    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib
6282    ./H-i386-cygwin32/lib
5780    ./H-i386-cygwin32/bin
1       ./H-i386-cygwin32/etc
237     ./H-i386-cygwin32/libexec/awk
618     ./H-i386-cygwin32/libexec
12680   ./H-i386-cygwin32
425     ./man/man1
15      ./man/man3
3       ./man/man5
442     ./man
1037    ./info
0       ./share
16501   .
==============================================================
Although the directory listing shows no difference in the two directories. 
This has to be a bug somewhere.

--
Weiqi Gao
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".