Subject: questions on bash
From: [email-masked] (Ed Peschko)

10 Dec 1996 00:56:25 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Also forgive me if this is a dup (my site's mailer strikes again)
----------

hey --

I had a couple of bash questions (forgive me if they are FAQs, I am new to 
this list).

Question #1:

Why doesn't the #! syntax work? I just installed perl on win 95 and thought it
would be REAL COOL if I could say stuff like:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

<INSERT YOUR UNIX SCRIPT HERE>

since bash would supply the right delimiters.

Question #2:

Are the delimiters in bash 'transparent' -- ie: can you say stuff like:

cd \source

and 

cd /source

and have them mean the same thing?

If not (apparently not as of release 17) I think this would be *another* 
tremendous opportunity for portability. Again -- with perl in mind -- I'm 
thinking of using gnu-win32 as a 'standardization point' (ie: using windows
perl modules, but with modified *Unix* perl scripts).

And, if bash cannot recognize '\' as a delimiter, windows perl modules are 
going to silently break.

Question #3:

Has anyone attempted to port perl (the unix perl) to NT using gnu-win32? 
I read in the FAQ that perl contained one file that was 'off-limits' to win32
(aux.sh) but it gave no explanation as to why this was the case. Are there
other problems?

Question #4:

what is the time frame for gnu-win32 to get out of beta?

Anyways, that's about it. Extremely good work -- (Point #1 is not a show 
stopper, I used the 

'eval 'exec perl $0 -S ${1+"$@"}' 
if 0;

syntax as suggested by the perl man page and perl ran fine.

Keep up the good work..

Ed
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".