Subject: Making gnuplot's windows terminal type work with gnu-win32 b17
From: [email-masked] ("John W. Eaton")

10 Dec 1996 00:50:14 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Has anyone else made gnuplot work with a Windows terminal driver?

I am trying to compile gnuplot 3.6 beta 315 with b17 on a Windows 95
system.  I was able to do the following:

* untar distribution

* edit configure to substitute /dev/nul for /dev/null

* ./configure

* edit Makefile to delete -DREADLINE=1 from DEFS

The version of readline distributed with gnuplot is not GNU
readline and it doesn't seem to work with the gnu win32 stuff.
Since I really just want to be able to execute gnuplot from Octave
using a procbuf, this doesn't matter much to me.

* make

This works (!), and results in a binary that will run.  I can
generate output for ugly ascii-only graphics on dumb terminals,
lots of plotters (well, I haven't tried, but I suspect that
terminal drivers for most of the devices will work), and
PostScript files.

Using gnuplot from Octave also works, so I think I am almost there.
However, I would like to have a terminal definition that would bring
up a separate plot window, so I modified term.h to include the
terminal definition for the MS-Windows terminal type.  Much to my
surprise, it compiled without any warnings, but it failed to link.
Then I realized that I also need to compile the files that are in the
win subdirectory.  Unfortunately, when I tried compiling things there,
I didn't have much success.  The functions there seem to depend on
specifics of the Borland MS compilers.  Since I don't have any
experience programming for Windows using those compilers, I had to
give up.

Has anyone else been successful making gnuplot work with the gnu-win32
tools?  Perhaps it would not be too difficult for someone with some
Windows programming experience.

Thanks,

jwe

-- 
In the beginning, Ken Thompson | Octave: http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave
wrote the searching tool grep. |     Me: http://www.che.wisc.edu/~jwe
       -- A. Hume, SP&E (1988) |
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".