Subject: Re: b17 bash problem with /dev/null on Windows 95 system
From: [email-masked] ("John W. Eaton")

9 Dec 1996 23:57:06 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On  9-Dec-1996, Phillip N. Toland <[email-masked]> wrote:

: I think I know what is happeneing here. Under DOS-ish systems, every
: directory has a nul device (nul is the magic name, not null as someone
: suggested earlier). I believe you said earlier that you created a /dev
: directory, so therefore /dev/nul exists but /dev/null doesn't. 

I did create a /dev directory, but when it didn't help the /dev/null
problem, I deleted it.  Even without it, redirecting to /dev/nul
works.  Redirecting /dev/null still fails.

: Unfortunately this doesn't explain why the cygwin tools can't find
: /dev/null 

True.

jwe
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".