Subject: B17 bugs
From: [email-masked] (Richard Donkin)

9 Dec 1996 15:07:14 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to the Cygnus guys for an excellent 
piece of software - nice to have a Unix-like environment on my laptop, 
including gcc and make.

I have installed sharutils, findutils, man2html and texi2html - the latter 
work well as a way of converting docs into HTML.

Here are some bugs I have found, using B17 and Win95:

* The #! feature does not work in bash, e.g. #!/usr/bin/perl (but I do have 
a perl/bash header that works for Perl scripts in the mean time).

* Lower case variables, when exported from bash, become upper case 
environment
variables when viewed from a subshell.

export a=foo

turns into $A only in a subshell.  Probably a Win32 limitation but it would 
be handy if there was some way of working around this.

* Bash will usually crashes if I hit ^C while executing a program.  Bash 
itself does not crash on ^C at the prompt, though.

* Although ls works fine and I can access files in the root directory OK, 
doing an ls of / or /d or /e takes longer than usual and generates corrupt 
output - e.g. result of 'ls /e' is (in od -c format):

0000000 356 023 367 277   7 001  \n
0000007

The directory looks like this from Win32 DIR:

 Volume in drive E is DRIVE_E
 Volume Serial Number is 1137-14D0
 Directory of E:\

demos          <DIR>        15/10/96  15:10 DEMOS
instal~1       <DIR>        12/10/96  15:34 Installed on Thinkpad - Win95
projec~1       <DIR>        11/11/96  10:04 Projects - Archive
va             <DIR>        12/10/96  16:23 VA
win386   swp    36,700,160  09/12/96   9:59 WIN386.SWP
         1 file(s)     36,700,160 bytes
         4 dir(s)      21,131,264 bytes free
        
* 'cd c:/richardd' is very slow (several seconds), while 'cd /richardd' is 
fast.  The mount list looks like this:

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
e:               /e                  native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
d:               /d                  native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary

Richard
--
[email-masked]                http://www.inside-edge.co.uk/
Inside Edge Consultancy           Client/Server and Internet Applications
PGP key from:  [email-masked]  -or-  http://www.four11.com/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".