Subject: access violation running B17 gunzip.exe
From: [email-masked] ("Jack D. Unrue")

7 Dec 1996 22:03:49 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I downloaded the B17 versions of cygwin.dll, gunzip.exe, and tar.exe
from ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/noer/gnu-win32.  All three files are in my
PATH and I have removed all of the B16 binaries.  When I run gunzip
to uncompress all.tar.gz, I get

    (gunzip.exe 1000) In cygwin_except_handler
    (gunzip.exe 1000) Exception trapped!
    (gunzip.exe 1000) exception C0000005 at FFFFFFFF
    (gunzip.exe 1000) exception: ax FFFFFFFF bx 40C720 cx 245FBA3 dx 2
    (gunzip.exe 1000) exception: si 5 di 100113BF bp 245F4A4 sp 245F49C
    (gunzip.exe 1000) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    (gunzip.exe 1000) Stack trace:
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 0: sp = 0x245F2D0, pc = 0x1001282A
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 1: sp = 0x245F2EC, pc = 0x77F94072
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 2: sp = 0x245F310, pc = 0x77F88A53
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 3: sp = 0x245F39C, pc = 0x77F75E82
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 4: sp = 0x245F4A4, pc = 0x40C3DB
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 5: sp = 0x245F4AC, pc = 0x4019F7
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 6: sp = 0x245F4C0, pc = 0x10011BEB
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 7: sp = 0x245FF9C, pc = 0x10011BFF
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 8: sp = 0x245FFA8, pc = 0x40C498
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 9: sp = 0x245FFB8, pc = 0x401012
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 10: sp = 0x245FFC0, pc = 0x77F1AFC1
    (gunzip.exe 1000) frame 11: sp = 0x245FFF0, pc = 0x0
    (gunzip.exe 1000) End of stack trace

In fact, the same error is reported if I run gunzip or tar without
any arguments at all.

In spite of this problem (whatever the cause is :-), I agree with the
install method that was chosen for this release.  It's far better to
provide a self-contained installation.

--
Jack D. Unrue
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".