Subject: b17 bash problem with /dev/null on Windows 95 system
From: [email-masked] ("John W. Eaton")

7 Dec 1996 17:32:03 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

After installing all the binaries for b17 on a Windows 95 system, I
tried to run a configure script and got this:

  COPY FOR DUP FAILED, handle in FFFFFFFF 6!!
  bash.exe: /dev/null: Bad file number

Then I tried to echo something and redirect it to /dev/null with the
same results:

  bash$ echo foo > /dev/null
  COPY FOR DUP FAILED, handle in FFFFFFFF 6!!
  bash.exe: /dev/null: Bad file number

However,

  bash$ cat /dev/null

seems to do the right thing.

I don't have a directory called /dev.  (Should I?  Creating one didn't
seem to make any difference.)

I have the b17 version of bash installed as /bin/sh.  Nothing else is
in /bin.

I removed everything from b16 from /cygnus, and as far as I know, I
now have only b17 stuff installed.

Can anyone else reproduce this?  If so, do you know of a fix?  If not,
does anyone have suggestions about how to debug it?  Should I look at
bash or is the problem more likely in cygwin.dll?

Thanks,

jwe
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".